Autodesk is seeking a User Experience Designer interested in joining our Product Design solutions team. As a designer you will be responsible for delivering cohesive and scalable customer experiences for Inventor®, our 3D CAD mechanical design software. In this role you will report to the User Experience Design Manager and partner with the Product Management and Engineering teams to help build new and compelling software, for the world’s best mechanical designers and engineers.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual to advocate the needs of the users. You will be working with customers from diverse industries to develop world-class mechanical design software. The ideal candidate is driven by the desire to be a user advocate and is passionate about designing products that are intuitive and easy to learn. The role requires flexibility to collaborate with global product teams. Having some familiarity with the manufacturing domain or Autodesk software is desired, but not required.
Learn more about why Autodesk is continually ranked a top place to work by Fortune, Forbes, Glassdoor, and others: Top 7 Reasons You Should Work at Autodesk .
How You Will Spend Your Day
- Interacting with customers. You will be interacting with customers through various channels and avenues and will always lookout for opportunities to learn from them on how they use our products and how as a designer you can make it easier for them to use our products.
- Partnering with other functions. You will be imbedded in product teams, partnering with product management, program management, software development, and learning content development. You will work closely with these functions and act as the voice of customers.
- Creating user experience design specifications. You will be responsible for understanding the user requirements and engineering capabilities and create design specifications to enable the implementation of products.
- Create and implement the experience design for Inventor desktop and cloud projects
- Consult and present user experience designs to others in the division and company
- Determine the most appropriate methodology of design; Storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, and other iterative artifacts
- Work with product management to define and analyze user requirements
- Work with and participate in scrum team processes
- Carry out user research to obtain user insights to better inform business and design decisions
- Advocate and contribute to the maturing of experience design discipline at the team and company levels
- 2-5 years of professional design experience, or BS in HCI, Interaction Design, or a related discipline
- Demonstrable UI design skills with a strong portfolio
- Solid experience in creating wireframes, storyboards, user flows, story maps and process flows
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Previous experience with 3D software or mechanical design is desirable, but not required
- Experience creating and conducting usability tests and other forms of user research and feedback
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and other design tools (Balsamiq, Sketch, etc.)
The Ideal Candidate
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Excellent collaboration skills. Great listener
- Ability to deliver high quality work on tight schedules
- Ability to execute in a fast-paced, agile environment
- Ability to distill complex ideas to their essence
- You are passionate about user experience design and development
- You exhibit great leadership skills – You are able to demonstrate leadership abilities and interact with others effectively via teamwork and diplomacy. You are able to adjust to changing priorities
- You are an effective communicator – You possess strong verbal, written and visual communication and presentation skills. You are able to set and communicate clear expectations and deliver on them in a dynamic environment across multiple time zones and a diverse workforce
- You collaborate well with others. You are able to collaborate seamlessly with developers, user researchers, peer interaction designers, learning content developers, and to accept input from a variety of other corporate peers and sponsors
- You are not afraid to express your ideas, or change your mind when someone has a better one
- You have a positive, can-do approach that invites collaboration
With Autodesk software, you have the power to Make Anything. The future of making is here, bringing with it radical changes in the way things are designed, made, and used. It’s disrupting every industry: architecture, engineering, and construction; manufacturing; and media and entertainment. With the right knowledge and tools, this disruption is your opportunity. Our software is used by everyone – from design professionals, engineers and architects to digital scientists, students and hobbyists. We constantly explore new ways to integrate all dimensions of diversity across our employees, customers, partners, and communities. Our ultimate goal is to expand opportunities for anyone to imagine, design, and make a better world.