- Strong design background and passion for creating beautiful products that work well. You have experience in both the consumer and enterprise space with a particular emphasis on products that feature a lot of interaction
- Enough professional experience that you thrive in the face of ambiguity and complexity and know how to get things done across a globally distributed environment. You have excellent communication skills across all mediums with the proven ability to influence a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Solid craftsmanship: skilled in both the theory and practice of design, up-to-date on design patterns, able to differentiate between trends and emerging best practices
- Expert interaction and visual design skills, including use of a diverse set of tools, e.g. Adobe creative suite, OmniGraffle, Sketch, InVision, etc.
- Deep understanding and passion in existing design system landscape across platforms and channels, e.g. Bootstrap, Material Design, Apple HCI guidelines, Fluent Design
- Previous experience with advanced UI prototyping tools, e.g. Framer, Principle, Webflow, Axure is a plus
- HTML/CSS experience, including concepts like the layout, responsive design, cross-browser compatibility, and accessibility
- Ability to produce HTML based interactive prototypes is a plus
- Basic understanding of code semantics and concepts required for component-based development – OOP, Flux/Redux, Modular, MVVM, MVC
- Basic understanding of development tools required for component-based development – GitHub, REST API’s
- Previous experience contributing to a design system for complex products across desktop and mobile is a plus. Ideally, the system was applied to a diverse set of products and featured multiple releases that demonstrate continual growth and maturity of the system.
- You care deeply about setting up the team up for success—helping define and evolve the design system to help other designers and engineers do their best work is 80% of this job.
- You think in systems; you can see how all the parts fit together, and how a small change can propagate throughout the system; you can anticipate how aspects of the system will be used by designers and engineers
- You care about how you can make the design system evolve over time—you make decisions that make the portfolio
Who You’ll Work With
You will be a core member of the Design & Innovation team working out of our Prague Service Hub. You will be part of a global team that is distributed across Germany, Poland, New York and Prague.
The Design & Innovation team is responsible for using user-centered methods to inform the development and delivery of technology-enabled products and services used across the Firm. This work ensures that we create experiences that make the work of our colleagues faster, easier and more effective. And that we incubate new ways of working that will move the Firm forward.
This role is focusing specifically on the Service Management & Delivery Portfolio (SMP). This team’s mission is to help our colleagues across McKinsey to more easily interact with core services such as IT Support, Visual Graphics, and HR by combining modern technology with state-of-the-art service delivery and operations.
We’re trying to make digital self-service the #1 choice for our customers to get help by creating engaging and extremely efficient service experiences. And to create operational efficiencies in service delivery by streamlining processes, automating repeat tasks and leveraging intelligent technologies like AI, machine learning and chatbots.
What You’ll Do
You and your collaborators from product management and engineering will create and champion a repeatable and scalable set of components that will be adopted by multiple product teams working across the Service Management & Delivery Portfolio. This design system will be closely aligned with the digital design language used broadly across McKinsey.
The role will require you to be a passionate collaborator who focuses on designing solutions that our users love and defining processes and tools that empower our designers and engineers. You will blend visual design with classic interaction design principles to support the goal of empowering our teams to efficiently create products that work well.
You will collaborate with other designers to define our interaction patterns & visual language, and design how it gets enabled in design and engineering tooling. In this role, you will design, build and maintain our library of shared components and styles for use by teams building on top of the ServiceNow platform.
You will collaborate with other designers and engineers to use our component and styles library; work with each team to infuse design craft and quality into their work & processes. You will also write documentation and guidance on how and why components, styles, and patterns should be applied in code and design.